Leon grew up in Sydney, Australia and at the age of eight began sitting with drums in his father's nightclub. He began his career in 1983 at the prestigious EMI Studios Sydney. By the late 1980s Leon had established himself as one of the top engineers in Australia, mastering worldwide hits for artists such as INXS, Keith Urban and Midnight Oil.
In 1993, restless for a new challenge, Leon moved to New York, where in a few short years he established himself with a string of hits, including NSYNC, Aerosmith, Mobb Deep, Big Pun, Dream Theater, Eddie Palmieri, Santana and The Black Crowes.
After becoming cheif mastering engineer at New York's Masterdisk, Leon joined Sterling Sound (also in New York) in 2003 as the senior mastering engineer where his new, state-of-the-art stereo/surround mastering room won the 2004 Tech Award for studio design.
Leon has mastered projects for Avril Lavigne, Rihanna, Duran Duran, Ben Folds and Citizen Cope as well as plenty of 5.1 projects such as Collective Soul, Three Days Grace and Branford Marsalis. Recent work includes mastering Kerli's "Love Is Dead", the Academy-Award nominated soundtrack Enchanted as well as the latest Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis' "Two Men with the Blues".
A selection of creditsEdit
- Chase the Setting Sun - Stone Parade (2008)
- Ramones: It's Alive 1974-1996 - The Ramones (2007)
- Flat Chat - Midnight Oil (2006)
- Astronaut - Duran Duran (2004)
- Under My Skin - Avril Lavigne (2004)
- Welcome to Wherever You Are - INXS (2002)
- Definitive INXS - INXS (2002)
- Let Go - Avril Lavigne (2002)
- Nine Lives - Aerosmith (1997)