|Associated acts||The Boomtown Rats|
Andy Hamilton (born 1953) is a British saxophonist, who has recorded and toured with Duran Duran off and on since the early 1980s.
The saxophone came into Andy's life when he was 15 after seeing The Alan Bown Set and Sounds Incorporated at the Manor Court School Youth Club in Portsmouth. His first saxophone was bought for £9.00 from Skippers junk shop in Portsmouth, and made a sound that was in perfect proportion to the price Andy paid for it.
During the early 1980s and after moving to London, Andy worked with bands such as The Boomtown Rats with whom he performed with at Live Aid in 1985 and Dexy's Midnight Runners. He also played solos on some Wham! records and then started a long association with George Michael, who he later recorded and toured with. He performed saxophone on the 12" version of Duran Duran's debut single "Planet Earth", contributing to the brass section on the track and later working on the band's Rio album, Rio Tour and The Sing Blue Silver Tour.
Since the 1980s Andy has toured and recorded with artists including Elton John, The Pet Shop Boys, Tina Turner and Lily Gonzalez. He has also had a long association with Duran Duran, performing on albums and tours including The Astronaut Tour and according to Simon Le Bon, "He travels the world with his big, shiny, instrument. Every one who sees it wants to blow it, but no one can blow it like he does."
A selection of creditsEdit
- Toured USA with Edwin Starr, recorded Happy Radio album
- Toured UK & Europe with Ben E. King & The Thymes
- Recorded V Deep album with The Boomtown Rats and toured UK Europe & USA
- Recorded Rio album with Duran Duran
- Toured UK & Europe with Dexy’s Midnight Runners
- Video appearance with David Bowie in "Wild Is The Wind" & "Drowned Girl" (released in 1993)
- Recorded Seven and the Ragged Tiger with Duran Duran in Australia & Montserrat
- Film appearance with Paul McCartney in Give My Regards To Broad Street
- Recorded with Wham! including performances and video appearances on "I’m Your Man", "The Edge Of Heaven" & "Where Did Your Heart Go"
- Faith world tour with George Michael
- Recording sessions with Kim Wilde
- Recording sessions with Nina Hagen & Tina Turner
- Tour of Far East with ABC
- Composed and produced album for DeWolfe Music Library
- Andy Hamilton at All Music Guide